Pages

Friday 27 June 2008

One of those days

The thing about blogs is that you tend to only post about the good things, which may leave readers with the impression that you live some kind of perfect life. Just to dispel that myth, today has been one of those days where you are counting the hours until the children's bedtime. Lily woke up very early this morning, but other than that things started off okay. It really started to deteriorate after breakfast.

I needed to go to the doctor's to pick up a prescription and since the park is right opposite the surgery, I told the children I would take them to the park after we had done this. I made the mistake of telling them this before we were dressed! Tom wanted to go to the park RIGHT NOW and hang the fact that we were all in pajamas! He whinged about this until we were finally all dressed and were about to get in the pushchair. Then Lily refused to put her shoes on and threw a paddy because I wouldn't let her walk (it is too far for her to walk to the doctor's). I finally had two children in the pushchair and we were on our way down the road when Tom decided he wanted to go home. He cried all the way to the doctor's, he cried while I picked up the prescription and he cried the entire time we were in the park (only about ten minutes in the end). Given the circumstances, I decided to skip the pharmacist, so I don't even have the medication I went out to pick up! Miraculously, Tom cheered up the second we headed for home.

We were all three of us tetchy today, which isn't helped by the fact that Lily is going through that trying toddler phase where she throws a paddy the second something doesn't go her way. To top it off, Mark has been in Spain on business this week and won't be back until the small hours of Saturday morning, so I'm missing him too. Of course, all this leaves you feeling guilty for not handling it all better.

Ugh, what a day! I'm off to make something with pastry to sooth my troubled spirit and then I'll settle to an hours calming reading while I consume it. Here's hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: