Pages

Wednesday 27 May 2009

The doll's house

Last month for my birthday, we took the Podlings to the Sudbury Museum of Childhood. We all had a lovely time there, particularly Lily who we could hardly drag away from the doll's houses. She enjoyed playing with them so much that Mark and I decided then and there that we wanted to try and give her a doll's house for her birthday. We already had the house itself, which my talented grandfather made for me when I was a little girl. The decor is a little worse for wear these days, having seen many hours of play with my sister and me, but it is still a good, solid doll's house and has many years of play left in in it.

I wanted to furnish it with good quality wooden furniture, but was surprised at how expensive that could work out to be. Luckily, I found an excellent deal for a full set of furniture on eBay and my parents and my sister and brother-in-law all chipped in to give Lily a fully furnished doll's house and doll family for her third birthday. The bedroom is a little crowded as the parents and children are all sleeping in the same room, but no-one seems to be objecting!

The house is a big hit with Lily (and with Tom when he can get near it). I hope that it will continue to be enjoyed for many years by all current and future Podlings, and who knows, maybe it will eventually be enjoyed by grandpodlings. I wish my grandad were here to see how much enjoyment his doll's house is still giving.

No comments: