Pages

Monday 29 June 2009

A butterfly tea party

I haven't had butterfly cakes since my mum made them for me when I was a little girl. My goodness did mum and I enjoy them!
.
.One morning during my mum's visit we were doing collages with the Podlings using a new craft kit my parents had brought for Lily. Included in the kit was a pack of colourful butterfly sequins which Tom immediately took a shine to. After finishing his pictures, he pulled all the butterflies out from amongst the other shapes and proceeded to play with them for the entire morning. He lined them up and marched them across the kitchen, he gave them rides on his fire engine, he pretty much took them everywhere with him. He was enjoying them so much that, on the spur of the moment, I decided to throw a butterfly tea party that afternoon.

We spent the afternoon making butterfly shaped Shrewsbury biscuits and butterfly cakes. At tea time, we sat down to enjoy the fruits of our labours, along with butterfly shaped sandwiches and a cake plate piled with lots of colourful chopped fruit including peaches, strawberries and watermelon. If I'd planned it sooner, I would have made butterfly-themed decorations too, but Tom decorated the table with his butterfly sequins so the table still looked pretty. At the end of the party, Lily was asking for cake so we put a candle in a butterfly cake and sang 'Happy Birthday' to the butterflies. The Podlings really enjoyed their special tea and both of them asked if we could have another butterfly party next week.
.

No comments: