Pages

Tuesday 2 June 2009

I must go down to seas again...

We've been enjoying some glorious weather round here lately. Given the vagaries of the British climate, we decided on Saturday to 'make hay while the sun shines' and headed to North Wales to the beach. Our favourite beach so far is Talacre, originally recommended by a friend of ours who used to go there as a child (thanks Fiona). It is a lovely sandy spot that doesn't involve a long hike from the car park. We packed up a picnic (of course!) and spent a happy afternoon building sandcastles, collecting shells and paddling in the sea. Mark took the Podlings off for a long paddle, which meant I was able to sit back with a hot drink for a while and enjoy the peace and serenity of the place. I even got to read some of my book ('Cranford' by Elizabeth Gaskell if you're interested). We left the beach at eight o'clock, which meant a late night for the Podlings as it takes us 90 minutes to drive home. We had a fabulous time though and are hoping for some more good weather so we can repeat the excursion soon.


I love this photo of Tom. He is just so content at the beach.

Lily loved playing in the pools left behind when the tide went out
.

2 comments:

Fi said...

Glad you had fun. You should try just north of Liverpool too - not much further for you. Freshfields, Formby, Ainsdale, Southport all have nice beaches I think (I'll check with my mum and dad as I was a kid when I used to go)...seem to remember that when the tide is out at Southport you have a VERY long walk to the sea. There is also a red squirrel reserve there somewhere, but I'll have to ask Jason what it is called!

Fi said...

P.S. Jason thinks this is the place: http://www.redsquirrels.info/formby_squirrels.html

I wonder how much squirrel crafting you could do? :-) (obviously not with real squirrels!)