Pages

Thursday 4 June 2009

Starting school

Last night the four of us attended the parent's induction evening for Tom's new school, which he will be starting in September. I still can't believe I have a child who is about to start school...it doesn't seem like that long ago Tom was sunbathing under UV lights in an incubator and now we are measuring him up for a school uniform! There was a short talk about the reception curriculum and school uniform and then we had a chance to look around Tom's future classroom and playground. The classroom he will spending the next year in is really lovely. It is bright, colourful and a really child-friendly environment. Lily immediately made herself quite at home and anyone would think it was her starting school in September. She will have no trouble making the transition to school when the time comes! Tom, on the other hand, was a little unsure of everything at first. He needs time to adjust to new situations and it was a lot for him to take in. However, he immediately warmed to the idea of going to school when we came to the reception class playground. It is a small courtyard, but is full of ride-on cars and play equipment. He certainly brightened up when he got to play there and started making friends. In fact, we had a terrible job getting him to leave and he actually cried the whole way home (only five minutes in the car) because he wanted to stay. I hope he is that enthusiastic about actually going to school when the time comes. I really loved school when I was little and I want so much for my children to enjoy their education too. Tom will have a chance to spend an afternoon in the classroom with his new teacher next week, so it will be interesting to see what he has to say after that experience.

It certainly helped me to be able to see the school and get a feel for the type of environment and people that my little boy will be spending so much time with. I've heard nothing but good things about the school and teachers from people who have (or have had) children in the school. Now I've seen it for myself, I'm happy that he is going to a good school. Now I just have to hope that Tom makes a smooth transition to full-time education. It will be a big change in his life and I hope it will be a positive experience for him.

"Starting school" by Ethel and Harry Wingfield. Image available from http://www.ladybirdprints.com/.

No comments: