Pages

Friday 4 September 2009

Getting ready


..
A new school year begins next week, and with it comes big changes for a certain little boy. Next Tuesday will be Tom's first day at school and we've been gradually preparing him for it over the last few weeks. Tom takes a long time to get used to the idea of change and at the end of last term he was adamant that he didn't want to go to school. He would continually change the subject if we tried to talk about it and was obviously worried. Over the summer holidays we have read him storybooks about starting school, talked to him about it and generally got him used to the idea. He now talks quite happily about going to school and no longer seems so worried about it. Part of his coping strategy has been the reemergence in the last couple of days of his imaginary friends Morley and Malley, who show up every now and then. Apparently they will be starting school with him.

Tom was very excited this morning when his new school backpack and lunch bag arrived in the post. He loves red and he loves stars, so I knew he'd love them as soon as I saw them (I got them from The Great Little Trading Company if you're interested). He immediately started pretending he was at school, even taking a break from his pretend learning to have pretend lunch from his new lunch bag. This is such a contrast to his attitude six weeks ago. From being quite obviously anxious about going to school, he now seems almost excited about it. I can't tell you what a relief this is to me!

We are pretty much set for the new term now. We have most of his uniform, but we will be joining the back to school crowd this weekend to buy some shoes (not looking forward to that!). I also have a special treat planned for the Podlings for Sunday afternoon. Preparing to send my firstborn to school is an extremely strange experience and I have such mixed emotions about it. It is quite exciting in some ways though, as I have caught the buzz I used to feel on going back to school myself. I only hope Tom enjoys school as much as I used to.
..

2 comments:

Lainey said...

Best of luck to him, and to you for coping with a new era!

Diane said...

Good Luck to Tom for Tuesday & you of course for coping with the new stage.