Pages

Saturday 12 September 2009

Tom Podling's Schooldays

Tom in his uniform on his first day of school. He looks so very grown up! He loves his uniform and tries very hard not to get it dirty.
..
Tom has now completed his first week as a schoolboy and he seems to be settling in well. I've have had a good chat with him every evening about his day and he has told me each night that he has had a fun day. He did make me laugh after his first day when he announced that he liked school, but that he wouldn't go again until he was five! He was so tired after his first day that as soon as we walked through the front door he went straight up the stairs and got into bed!
..
I have been making packed lunches for him as I know he wouldn't eat school dinners. I asked him on his first day if he had enjoyed his lunch. "Yes." he replied, "I ate it all up. I didn't want to but the teachers told me to." Poor boy! He has a funny way of eating his sandwiches, involving opening them up, lining up the squares of bread and eating the filling. I suspect he is being told to eat the bread as well now. It doesn't seem to be upsetting him though, so I'm not going to make an issue out of it.
..
The only thing he really seems not to have enjoyed about school is music. Tom has a strong dislike of loud noises, and whilst he spends much of his day singing his own little songs, he doesn't like other people singing. It sounds like he got quite upset during the music lesson and was allowed to go back to the classroom and play in the quiet while the rest of the class carried on.
..
If you know Tom, I think you'll agree that it's fair to say that he isn't quite like other children. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum. This had given me some concerns about how he would fare in a school environment. I'm so pleased to see that, so far at least, he is doing well and actually seems to be enjoying school. I am so proud of him for coping so well with such a big change. I can't believe I am the mother of a schoolboy now!
.
Lily on her first day back at playgroup on Tuesday. As you can see, she's still fond of her dummies! She's holding five in this photo.
..
She really missed Tom on his first day and wanted to go and pick him up after lunch. When we went to collect him, she insisted on carrying his snack all the way up to school and gave it to him as soon as he came out. On his second day, they greeted each other with a huge hug, saying how much they had missed each other. So very sweet!

Tom went straight up to bed as soon as he got home on Tuesday. He asked Lily to join him and they both got under the covers for a chat.
..

No comments: