Pages

Tuesday 17 November 2009

Pottering about


Clockwise from top left: Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck, Benjamin Bunny and Hunca Munca
.
We've finally made a start on sorting out the spare room in an attempt to turn it into Emma's bedroom by Christmas. As I will be acquiring bits and pieces to decorate Emma's room, I wanted to do a few things in Lily's room too so she doesn't feel left out (Tom resists change in all its forms and doesn't like me to change his bedroom). Lily told me recently that she wanted pictures of animals in her room, so I have decided to 'Potterise' her bedroom with some Beatrix Potter pictures and accessories. I love the works of Beatrix Potter and the colours she used in her illustrations match Lily's pastel pink room beautifully.
..
I bought these square pine frames from Hobbycraft a few weeks ago. To make the set of pictures, I simply browsed the Internet until I found some Beatrix Potter pictures of suitable resolution, printed them off and put them in the frames. If you get too close, you can see they were digital images, but they are good enough for our purposes. The advantage of doing it this way is that if Lily wants different pictures on her walls in six months time, I haven't wasted any money on prints. I'll simply print off something different and put them in the frames instead.
...
What Lily sees when she's sat in bed.
..
I hung the pictures while Lily was at playgroup this morning in order to surprise her when she got home. I told her I had done something nice in her bedroom and when she saw the pictures she exclaimed "I can't aleeve (believe) my eyes!". I plan to get a few more Beatrix Potter things to carry the theme further. I will get most of it on eBay as I don't think it is a good idea to spend too much on children's rooms since they change their minds about what they like so often. I absolutely love decorating the children's rooms though, so sometimes I have a hard job reining myself in!
..

No comments: