Pages

Friday 15 July 2011

Foto Friday - Books

A detail of the cover showing the goatskin binding, gold blocking and hand-marbled papers. Beautiful!

This week's Foto Friday challenge was books. It was hard for me not to go nuts with this one because I am a complete bibliophile! Time, as ever, was the real challenge, so I grabbed one of my Folio Society books (the prettiest books imaginable) and took a few pictures of it. I have always believed that books should be as beautiful on the outside as they are on the inside, so I really treasure my handful of Folio editions. They are kept on a bookcase in my bedroom, well away from Podling traffic! This one was a birthday present from my husband and is a facsimile of the 1853 edition of the Book of Common Prayer. It is one of the prettiest books I own!


Finally, a quick picture I snapped this morning whilst on one of my walks with Emma. I pulled out my trusty field guide to wildflowers, (a wonderful book we inherited from Mark's grandfather) to look up a flower I couldn't name and thought 'Oh yeah, it's a book isn't it' and snapped a picture just for you. Yes, I do carry books around with me all the time! Tufted Vetch is the name of the flower, in case you were wondering. I learned something new today!

This photo illustrates my two favourite things, books and flowers.
.

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

What a beautiful, beautiful book!

Rebecca said...

what a gorgeous book! Such detail. Certainly don't get anything of the like with a kindle, hmmm?

Terri said...

Wow! That is one gorgeous book. I love your last photo.

Bill & Stacy said...

That is a really neat book!