Pages

Sunday 2 October 2011

The little picnic that wasn't

Mark was amused at my going for a walk with two baskets (I have a bit of a thing for baskets), so he took my picture before I set off.  

One day last week Mark was working from home, so I planned to have a little time to myself during Emma's nap. I packed up a little picnic (sandwiches, apples and a homemade muffin...mmm!), a small thermos of tea, a couple of books, a blanket and my blackberry basket and set off. I can't tell you how much I was looking forward to an hour or two of peace and relaxation in the sunshine. I had visions of setting up my picnic under a shady tree and whiling away a pleasant half an hour with my old friend David Copperfield. Alas, it wasn't to be!

I managed to get quite a nice basketful of blackberries and I was just about to find a nice spot for my picnic when I received a message from Mark telling me that Emma was on nap strike and he had had to get her up (there's the curse of the mobile phone for you!). Aaargh! How do the little ones always know when you are trying to sneak away! I set off for home and instead of my picnic under a tree, I ate it at our garden table while Mark played nearby with Emma. Still, the thought of the picnic was almost as nice as actually having it. It's a wonderful thing to possess an imagination!

I wasn't the only lady out for a stroll amongst the blackberry bushes!
.

No comments: