Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

Check mates


Lily found my old childhood chess set in the play room today and asked to play the game with her daddy. We explained that there was quite a lot to chess and that she would have to be patient while she learnt it, but she was still keen to play. At suppertime this evening, Mark taught her how to set up the board and how to move the pieces and patiently helped her through her first game. We expected her to get cross or frustrated and give up, but to our surprise she took to it very well and was keen to play another game. They played another couple of games this evening and she can't wait to play again tomorrow.

It gave me a great deal of pleasure watching Mark teaching our daughter to play chess. It reminded me of my own father teaching me the game when I was about six years old. I hope she gets as much pleasure playing the game with her father as I did with mine.


.

No comments: