Pages

Monday 16 April 2012

The more that you read


"The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
the more places you'll go."
- Dr Seuss

They say that children are made readers on the laps of their parents. This was certainly true for me as my mum started teaching me to read when I was 18 months old and I was reading by the time I was three. Having three babies in the space of five years meant I wasn't able to extend the same courtesy to my own children, but I have always read to them. Books and reading have always been a huge part of my life and one of the main things I want to pass on to my children is a love of reading. We have books all over the house and I have always tried to make reading an important part of our life.

It has given me an unbelievable thrill to see two of my children becoming readers. Tom is now a fluent reader and Lily has come on in leaps and bounds in the past couple of months. She is always seeking out books to read and she will have a go at any reading material. She certainly isn't intimidated by anything. The day that my parents arrived for their visit one of the first things Lily did was to run and fetch her copy of 'Milly Molly Mandy' so she could read it to her Nanny. It gave me great pleasure to see my daughter reading to my mother, the women who gave me the greatest gift a parent can give to a child...a love of reading. Children may be made readers on the laps of their parents, but the laps of their grandparents hold a very special place all of their own.

,

No comments: