Pages

Wednesday 2 May 2012

A Happy Day


“Just the knowledge that a good book is waiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier.” - Kathleen Norris 

My husband gives the best birthday presents! For my 35th birthday, Mark renewed my membership to the Folio Society and my books arrived today. Needless to say I was very excited when the delivery van pulled up at the bottom of the drive! I have always believed that a book ought to be as beautiful on the outside as it is on the inside and my goodness the Folio Society was created for people like me! Their editions are exquisite, if a little pricey. I feel like I have had a second birthday, so I hope you'll forgive a bibliophile for indulging in a little book worship! I wish all my books were this beautiful!

The complete Chronicles of Narnia  (a childhood favourite). The photo really doesn't do this edition of 'The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe' justice. The collection includes all 350 of the original illustrations by Pauline Baynes.

The Adventures of the Five Children collection by E. Nesbit, which contain 200 classic illustrations by H.R. Millar. I have a weakness for children's classics! 

I have wanted the Folio Edition of 'The Secret Garden' for some time, so I am thrilled to finally have my own copy.  

 It is a beautiful story and it deserves to be in a beautiful binding. Again, the photos really don't do it justice. To really appreciate how lovely these books are you could always have a look at the Folio Society's website.


Thank You Mark!!.

No comments: