Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

A Blustery Day at the Beach


On Saturday we went to the beach. It wasn't really beach weather to be honest, but we figured that if we waited for beach weather this summer, we'd probably never get there! There is no such thing as bad weather, only improper attire after all! What we hadn't counted on was the wind. Although it wasn't particularly cold, it was pretty windy at the beach. Lily wasn't too impressed at having sand blown into the back of her legs and spent much of the first hour hiding under a towel. Shall we be charitable and say that Lily has a low pain threshold...the girl does not like to be made uncomfortable! Nobody else minded though and we had a lovely time.

Tom just ran around, collected shells and basically enjoyed himself. Emma and I paddled in the sea, made sandcastles, buried each other in the sand and basically had a great time. After we had our picnic, Lily emerged from her shell and actually enjoyed the rest of the visit. She and Tom had a lovely game together and then Lily and I looked for shells. It was getting late by this time and everyone was starting to feel cold so we headed back to the car and drove home.

It was late when we got in, but I needed to wash the sand off Emma before I put her bedtime nappy on and I didn't want to run a full bath. I filled the kitchen sink and was tickled to find that Emma is still tiny enough that I can bathe her in it. I love that my littlest one is so small...I can baby her for a bit longer!

You just can't keep Emma away from water. Thankfully I had planned for this and had packed a spare outfit for her to wear home! 

Tom loves the wide open space of the beach and loves to just run and run

Lily gives us a jaunty wave from beneath her towel! 

Oh, that sweet face! 

Emma insisted that Daddy bury her in the sand.

Emma wanted us to be buried together. 

The tide was coming in, so Emma and I built a huge sandcastle with a moat for the sea to fill. Would you believe the tide turned and went back out again about a foot away from the end of the moat, so our poor moat remained dry. Oh well, we had fun building it and Emma kept talking about the 'big hole' we had dug, so she obviously thought it was good.
.

No comments: