Pages

Saturday 8 September 2012

Lanhydrock


On the last day of our holiday we visited Lanhydrock, a fantastic Jacobean country house near Bodmin furnished in the late Victorian style favoured by the Agar-Robartes family, who refurbished the house after a devastating fire in 1881. We had saved this property for the end of the week as we knew the weather was due to deteriorate and it was a good 'indoors' thing to do. Sure enough we got completely drenched walking to the house as it was some considerable distance from the car park!

I had been looking forward to visiting Lanhydrock all week and it didn't disappoint. It was, without a doubt, the highlight of the holiday for me. I was completely captivated by this delightful house and the stories of the family who lived there. I have always been deeply interested in the Victorian era, partly, I suppose, because most of my favourite books were written during this time. I have always said that I am the product of the books I have read!

Victorian style is very much to my taste and this house was a positive feast for the eyes. There were 50 rooms to explore, which is an unusually high number for a National Trust property. What was particularly fascinating about Lanhydrock was that in addition to the impressive family rooms, the kitchens, nursery suite and servants quarters were also open to the public. It was so interesting to see the contrast between 'upstairs' and 'downstairs'.

What really came across to me as we walked around this house was that it was a family home. It felt very much to me that people lived and were loved here. It was, I think, a very happy family home until the First World War came along. The Agar-Robartes family, with their ten children (one of whom died in infancy), really captured my imagination and I have been trying to find out all I can about the property and the family since we returned from holiday. I really can't say how much I enjoyed visiting Lanhydrock and I very much hope that I will have the opportunity to return to it in the future.

Lily outside Lanhydrock. We got completely drenched walking down to the house (it's a long walk from the car park). By the time we came out of the house again it was blazing sunshine!

Before we toured the house we stopped in the tea room for tea and cakes. Mark and I enjoyed a traditional cream tea and Lily was very pleased with her enormous hot chocolate!

The impressive fireplace in the dining room

A floral arrangement on the dining room table

Part of the day nursery. I wish I had been able to take more pictures of this room. I also wish I could have taken a better look at the dolls' house. I love dolls' houses. I think I am still a little girl at heart!

The night nursery, one of my favourite rooms in the house. With their large family, there would have been three or four children in here at any one time. Behind the door to the right of this picture (out of shot) was a tall bookcase full of Victorian children's books. I can't tell you how much I wished I could spend an afternoon taking them off the shelves and looking through them. I have a real passion for children's literature.

I loved this pretty doll in the night nursery. Victorian toys are so delightful.

The dressing table in Her Ladyship's bedroom. To the left of the dressing table you can see the open door of the safe where Her Ladyship would have kept her jewels. There was a pleasing amount of lace and plenty of dainty linens and doilies in the house. I highly approve of doilies, having quite a few in my own house (much to Mark's chagrin!)

Her Ladyship's boudoir. I want a boudoir and I want someone to bring me a cream tea in it. When can this be arranged?

Little Lily

Lily and Emma (Tom was not in the mood to be photographed unfortunately)
.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lovely photos that nursery looks beautiful