Pages

Sunday 17 February 2013

The Literary Heroine Blog Party


I don't normally take part in these things, but when I found 'The Literary Heroine Blog Party' hosted by Accordion to Kellie, I was intrigued. A series of questions about classic novels and their heroines...how could I resist that? It's very late and I have a cold, so I am not writing or thinking at my best here, but for what it is worth, here are my answers to her questions:

1. Introduce yourself: My name is Paula and I have been happily married to Mark for nearly 10 years. We have three children, a son (8) and two daughters (6 and 3) and live in the county of Staffordshire in England.    I used to have a lot more time for reading than I do now, but I wouldn't change my life for anything. I have been exceedingly blessed.

2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine?  To me the very essence of a heroine is that she puts others before herself and does what is right, even if it is contrary to her own desires. It's not very heroic to go around doing what you want!  Of course, in a novel I always hope that the heroine gets what she wants in the end anyway! I like happy endings!

3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to. I have always admired Agnes Wickfield from 'David Copperfield'. Her selflessness and sense of duty have always made her one of my favourite literary heroines. I have always felt a deep affection for Anne Shirley/Blythe and of course Elizabeth Bennet has a stubborn streak that I think I can relate to!

4. Five of your favourite historical novels? Lark Rise to Candleford, David Copperfield, Anne's House of Dreams, Persuasion, A Country Child

5. Out of those five books who is your favourite main character and why?
Anne Shirley because she sees beauty in the everyday, simple things in life which are the things that really matter. Ultimately, she finds happiness in being a wife and mother and is content in her domestic sphere, something I can identify strongly with.

6. Out of those five books who is your favourite secondary character and why? Agnes Wickfield from David Copperfield because of her selflessness and devotion. She is a typical Dickensian 'angel' woman, but I have always liked and admired her.

7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? I've already done this! My husband and I took a three week driving tour of Europe for our honeymoon and it was amazing! I guess my dream vacation might be a little longer than three weeks so we could spend longer in our favourite places.

8. What is your favourite time period and culture to read about? Victorian/Edwardian

9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of?
A piano solo

10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent? I wouldn't mind as long as I got to wear a pretty Victorian dress! I'd love the opportunity to wear historical costume!

11. What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?
Chocolate! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

12. Favourite author(s)? Charles Dickens, Flora Thompson, L.M. Montgomery, Jane Austen, the list goes on...

13. Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land? A camera (although   I would class that as an essential!) lots of books and my family!

14. In which century were most of the books you read written? Nineteenth (and early twentieth)

15. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities. 'Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends'

16. Describe your ideal dwelling place.
A modest cottage in the country surrounded by trees and a beautiful garden. Decorated in English country style and filled with books, flowers and the people I love.

17. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. Feminine, modest and a little old-fashioned (classic might be a nicer way of putting it!).

18. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? Fitzwilliam is a terrible name for a hero. Sorry Mr Darcy, but that's the truth of it!

19. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... Uriah Heep from David Copperfield...the scoundrel! Miss Havisham comes in a close second.

20. Three favourite Non-fiction books? Anything by Jennifer Worth, Elizabeth I by David Starkey and Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks.

21. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon?
I would pack up a small picnic in a basket, put on a shady sunhat and find a quiet spot under a tree to read and read and read.

22. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. My dream hat would probably be a large floppy straw sunhat with a pretty sash tied around it and maybe a flower or two tucked into the brim. Not sure if that bears any reflection on my true character, but it would be nice for aforementioned carefree summer afternoon!

23. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. There were a few ups and downs, but my favourite event was becoming an aunt when my sister had her first baby on Christmas Day.

24. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently. There are many. I am always inspired by the Bible.

8 comments:

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

My goodness, so many participants in this blog party want to change Mr. Darcy's first name! Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm a little odd for not thinking it's odd? Hee.

Anyway, I love your idea for a summer's day -- sounds delicious!

Kara said...

I'm not a fan of Darcy's first name either. :)

Vicki said...

Yay, another Sydney Carton fan!! And good thinking on putting Miss Havisham as one of the most dastardly villains - I wouldn't have thought of her right away, but now that you mention it, she gives me the creeeeeeeeps!!!!

I really enjoyed reading your post! :-)

Love in Christ,
Vicki
Sunshine & Shadow

Unknown said...

yes, Sydney Carton was great! And I love your way for spending a summer afternoon :)

Kellie said...

Lovely! Thanks for joining us!

I'm tickled by how many would change Mr. Darcy's first name... it is such a strange one.

Oh, creepy Miss Havisham... nice one!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! :)
Anne Shirley! She has been a popular one in this party. :)
And Lark Rise to Candleford is a novel? How delicious! I shall have to search for it at my local library.
It's so nice to meet you!
Joyfully,
Whimsey Keith :)

Paula said...

Hello Whimsey, thanks for visiting.

Lark Rise to Candleford is one my favourite books of all time. It is actually a compilation of Flora Thompson's three books Lark Rise, Over to Candleford and Candleford Green. I can't praise the books highly enough and I would encourage anyone to read them. I loved the television series of the same name, but it wasn't a patch on the books in my opinion. I sincerely hope you enjoy the book if you find it.

With very best wishes,
Paula

Danielle @ wxroz said...

I just found your blog! Although I can't remember exactly how... But anyway, I wish I had found this when the blog party was still going on, it looks like a lot of fun! Perhaps next year.

I loved the Lark Rise to Candleford TV series, and I recently got the book - can't wait to read it!